Blue Insurance
Blue Insurance
Blue Insurance
Car Insurance
Gadget Insurance
car insurance
Call us on
0818 484 484
(01) 5135976

Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs


What is car hire excess?
If you are hiring a car your car hire rental agreement should include Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), Third Party Liability and Theft. However, usually there is an excess on the CDW/LDW and Theft part of the rental agreement which means that you will have to pay the first portion of every claim. This excess is likely to range from about €500 to €2,000.
When you rent a car in the USA or Canada you will need Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI) to cover losses incurred as a result of damage, fire, theft and vandalism. You will also need cover for an injury you may cause to other people. The SLI tops up your existing third party liability insurance and is only available upon payment of an additional premium.
What is Supplemental Liability plus Excess Insurance?
Most car rental agreements in U.S.A., Canada, The Caribbean, South and Central America only offer limited or no third party liability insurance and this policy benefit provides cover for any amount you become liable for over and above the car hire company’s own policy up to $100,000 for damage to the rental vehicle. This policy also provides Supplemental Liability cover for up to $1,000,000 for third party bodily injury and damage to material property provided the appropriate additional premium has been paid.
How does it work?
This policy operates on a pay and re-claim basis. If you are held responsible to pay the excess to the Car Hire Company, you pay them directly and re-claim the excess amount back from us up to the policy limit.
Who can purchase a car hire excess policy?
Any Resident of the republic of Ireland aged between 21 years and 85 years.
What do I do if I need to make a claim?
Please refer to the Make A Claim page for details of how to make a claim.
What is the difference between a daily policy and an annual policy?
A daily policy will cover you for a ’one-off' car rental agreement and is only valid for the rental dates specified on the validation certificate. The maximum duration for any one single rental is 180 continuous days.
An annual policy is valid for 12 months from the issue date and will cover you for unlimited car rental agreements so long as each individual car rental does not exceed 62 days.
What is the maximum duration of continual cover allowed on this policy?
  • Daily policy - 180 days any one continuous rental.
  • Annual policy - 62 days any one continuous rental, unlimited rentals.
What dates should I select for a single rental?
The declared period of insurance must match the duration stated on your rental agreement. We cannot incept cover once your rental has already started. The maximum duration for any one single rental is 180 continuous days. Daily cover applies to each calendar day where you have the use of the rental vehicle for all or part thereof.
What countries am I covered in?
Cover is provided on a European or Worldwide basis.
  • European policies cover - The countries of the continent of Europe plus Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey and Israel but excluding any trip in, to, or through Belarus.
  • Worldwide policies cover - Anywhere in the world but excluding any trip in, to, or through Afghanistan, Belarus, Cuba, Congo, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, North Korea, Myanmar, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria or Zimbabwe.
What is the difference between Excess, Super CDW, Non-Waiver and the Deductible?
Each car rental company uses different terminology. When a car is hired, Collision Damage Waiver and Theft cover are included in the car rental price. There is always an excess (also referred to as Super CDW, Non Waiver or Deductible) on the CDW and Theft portion of the rental agreement. This amount varies according to the car rental company, the location and the size of the vehicle, and can range from €200 - €2,000.
Will the car rental company pre-authorise my credit card when I have your Excess Insurance?
Each car rental company will have their own policy and procedures on deposits. A number of companies will either pre-authorise or debit a sum equal to the excess from your credit card, while others may merely take an imprint.
What is the minimum and maximum age limit on the policy?
You and all other insured drivers must be aged between 21 and 84 years of age on the date of purchase of this insurance and must have a full valid driving licence, or hold a full internationally recognised licence to drive the rental vehicle.
What is the maximum coverage limit on the policy?
We will reimburse you for the excess, or repair costs up to a maximum of €7,500 (or equivalent in local currency) for any single incident under a single rental agreement. You can claim more than once but in total we will only reimburse you up to a maximum of €7,500 during any one period of insurance. If a payment has been made in local currency any limits specified in this policy will be applied based on the exchange rate that applied at the time of the purchase of Your policy..
If you are hiring the car in the USA Canada, the Caribbean or South America, it is generally the case that your car rental will not include insurance. The renter must purchase CDW (Collision Damage Waiver)/LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) and Supplemental Liability Insurance. The CDW/LDW cover is included in our worldwide cover up to $100,000 and our Supplemental Liability Insurance is available upon payment of additional premium.
N.B. Where you were covered by any other insurance for the same excess, we will only pay our share of the claim. At any point during the period of insurance we will only cover one rental agreement, rental agreements may not overlap.
Is there an excess on this policy?
No excess applies to this policy, the amount deducted from your card will be the amount returned to you up to the limit specified in the policy.
What types of vehicles are not covered by the policy?
    The policy does not cover rental of any of the following vehicles:
  • A vehicle more than 10 years old
  • A vehicle valued at more than €70,000 (or equivalent in local currency)
  • A motor home, camper van, trailer or caravan, van, commercial vehicle or truck, motorcycle, moped, motorbike, off-road vehicle, recreational vehicle, high performance vehicle, prestige or exotic vehicle, passenger van or other vehicle with more than 7 seats.
Am I covered to rent a vehicle in my country of residence?
In order to purchase this insurance you must be a permanent resident of the Republic of Ireland. If you are permanently resident in the Republic of Ireland and you purchase this insurance then yes, you will be covered to rent in your country of residence.
What is Family Cover?
This extends the cover provided by the policy to immediate family members named on the policy schedule, and enables them to rent vehicles independently without the lead named insured driver accompanying them.
Family Members are defined as Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Daughter, Son, Foster Child, Husband, Wife, Step parent, Step child, Step-sister, Step-brother, Parent-in-law, Son-in-law, Daughter-in-law, Sister-in-law, Brother-in-law, co habiting partners.